Thank you for your interest in cleaning up Junction Creek and the Greater Sudbury community this spring, and supporting the 2021 Nibi-Nikwejiwong/Junction Creek Water Walk!
We have been working hard to adapt Junction Creek clean-ups to ensure they follow COVID-19 public health guidelines. We appreciate your patience and understanding, and your efforts to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
The Backyard Clean-up
With the current stay-at-home order, there is still an opportunity to make a positive impact for Nibi (water) and help clean the watershed. We are encouraging residents and businesses to safely pick-up litter on their property and consider taking action to mitigate litter and reduce their plastic waste.
Please share your results to add to the total garbage count and be featured in our newsletter or social media. Prizes to be won!
- Make a plan to safely pick-up litter on your property under parental supervision and read the safety tips below
- You will need gloves (reusable gloves such as rubber household cleaning gloves, gardening gloves or working gloves), bag(s) for garbage, and appropriate footwear/outdoor attire. Tongs work well for picking up garbage.
- Take photos of your clean-up. This can include pictures before, during and after the clean-up.
- Share your results by email and/or tagging us on social media. See poster below for details.
- Stay informed about spring 2021 clean-up by filling out this online form.
- Learn more about the Water Walk and upcoming Indigenous water teachings here.
- Learn more about plastic waste in the Junction Creek watershed by watching our educational videos found here.
Learn more about Junction Creek clean-ups here.
Garbage removed from Junction Creek to date:
- Spring 2021: over 96 bags of garbage (~100 kg)
- 1999 to 2020: 85,877 kg
- Safety Tips
- Greater Sudbury Garbage bag tags
- Location of waste disposal: City Landfill (no fee for loads under 110lbs)